Some stats and fun facts.
This story first appeared in the August 21, 2012 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
39.2 million: Tourists in the past 12 months.
15,000: Number of hotel rooms added to the city in the past year.
$448: The average gaming budget.
16: Percent of visitors who are foreigners.
$6.1 billion: Gaming revenue for the strip last year.
19,029: Number of conventions held in a single calendar year.
4.9 million: Number of people attending those conventions.
• The number four is bad luck in China, therefore, the Wynn and Rio hotels have no floor levels with “four” in them.
• McCarran International is ranked the fifth busiest passenger-airport, with 44.3 million people each year since 2005.
• The Strip is technically outside of Las Vegas city limits; therefore, many people may have not actually visited the famous city yet.
• Elvis Presley performed in 837 consecutive sold-out shows.
• There are approximately 315 weddings each day in Las Vegas.
• There are almost 200,000 slot machines in Las Vegas.
• With 3,933 rooms, the Bellagio Hotel has more rooms than people living in the city of Bellagio, Italy.
• The Bellagio fountains sit in an 8-acre man-made lake.
• Gambling was legalized in Nevada in 1931.
SOURCES: APPLIED ANALYSIS MARKET RESEARCH, LAS VEGAS; Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce (lvcva.com) and Vegas.com