July 26 to Aug. 26
• “Gong Zhen — Sport In Art” exhibition at the Today Art Museum in Beijing. Adidas invited international contemporary artists to produce works using sport as inspiration. Included in the exhibition are 10 works from athletes such as David Beckham and Yelena Isinbayeva. The 10 pieces, showcasing the theme “Impossible Is Nothing,” will be auctioned off at the end of the exhibition. Proceeds will go to Right to Play.
This story first appeared in the August 6, 2008 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
• “Golden Evening,” an invitation-only party for friends and family of Adidas. Guests include Nadia Comaneci and Ian Thorpe.
• Opening of the Speedo Sports Club, a hub for Speedo events, press conferences, interviews and parties. The invitation-only opening party will be hosted by Team USA members such as Dara Torres and Amanda Beard.
• Nike Media Hospitality Center opens in Chaoyang Park, Beijing’s largest city park.
• The huge Adidas pavilion on the Olympic Green opens to the public. Inside, visitors will find information on the brand’s history, a spiral theater showing the brand’s Olympic commercials and the second-largest LCD screen on the Olympic Green.
Aug. 16 and 23
• Puma-sponsored concerts at jazz and wine bar CJW, musical guest TBA.
• Speedo-hosted swim clinic for local Chinese swimmers. Team USA members Natalie Coughlin and Katie Hoff are scheduled to take part.