MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR BLOW: A memorial service for Isabella Blow is set to be held Sept. 18 during London Fashion Week at The Guards Chapel near London’s St. James’ Park. While 250 of Blow’s friends and family attended the funeral service in Gloucestershire last month, following her death May 10 at age 48, the stylist’s memorial service will be open to 750 guests.
“Some of Isabella’s close friends couldn’t come to the funeral, and we thought it was so apt [to hold the service during London Fashion Week],” said Ali Chiu, Blow’s former assistant. “It would be so fitting for Issie if the service brings people to London Fashion Week, so it helps young designers.”
And to cement Blow’s reputation as a champion of new design talent, Detmar Blow, the stylist’s widower, has plans to establish a grant for young designers’ in her name, alongside a permanent exhibition made up of her vast wardrobe, which included Alexander McQueen’s entire graduate collection, couture pieces that she would wear on a daily basis and her signature Philip Treacy hats. Detmar Blow plans to either create a museum in Blow’s name or have the collection as a traveling exhibition. An exhibition of the stylist’s outlandish hats and headpieces designed by Treacy, “When Philip Met Isabella,” is on display at the State Russian Museum in St. Petersburg.
Meanwhile, Vanity Fair is said to be planning to run a piece on Blow in an upcoming issue, after it took the last portrait of the stylist earlier this year. The article is set to be written by Edward Helmore, an acquaintance of Isabella and Detmar Blow and the brother of Lucy Ferry, who was Isabella Blow’s close friend. Helmore is a regular contributor to Vanity Fair, Vogue and the British paper The Guardian. Vanity Fair declined to comment. — Nina Jones
SPREADING ITS WINGS: The New York Times-ification of the International Herald Tribune — unfolding since the Times’ buyout of The Washington Post’s share in the Paris-based newspaper in 2002 — took a glossy turn Monday with the unveiling of an international edition of T: Style Magazine. As in its Stateside introduction, the international edition of T is expected to shore up the Paris-based newspaper’s luxury advertising, aimed at what Times senior vice president for advertising Alexis Buryk called its “affluent, engaged readership.” The first issue with European and Middle East distribution will appear at the IHT-sponsored Fashion and Luxury Industry conference in November, fittingly being held in Moscow this year. That event’s annual host, IHT fashion editor and critic Suzy Menkes, also will provide the international T with a new column on global luxury. Most of the content in the international T will be the same as its U.S. version, a Times spokeswoman said. In its international version, T will butt heads with the How to Spend It glossy supplement to the Financial Times, which has been stepping up the frequency of the luxury and fashion-lifestyle section in recent years. — Irin Carmon
MEISEL DOES PRINGLE: There’s a new snapper on the scene at Pringle, and it’s none other than Steven Meisel. London-based Pringle had been using David Sims for two seasons, but creative director Clare Waight Keller wanted a change. “The collection is moving on, it’s stronger and bigger, and we needed to capture the new mood. Steven’s work has a very editorial feel, and we felt it was right,” said Waight Keller. The black-and-white pictures for Pringle’s fall ad campaign were shot on location in Los Angeles in a former billboard sign factory. “There’s a real rawness to the space — and a crumbly exterior — and then there’s luxurious, rich clothing,” she said. Waight Keller plucked three fresh faces — Denisa, Kasia and Irina — from her fall runway show in Milan to feature in the ads. The campaign will break in the September issues of titles including Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and W magazine, sister publication to WWD. — Samantha Conti
HOT MOMMA: Forbes.com’s recent feature on the “hottest billionaire heiresses” includes familiar faces such as Paris Hilton and Amanda Hearst, but the curveball came with 46-year-old mother of two, Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Is the former “Seinfeld” star really a future billionaire? As it turns out, probably not.
Forbes.com had reported that the father of Louis-Dreyfus, Gerard, has a $3.4 billion fortune from commodities including oil, gas and orange juice. A spokeswoman for the Web site confirmed that, shortly after the list was posted, “Forbes received a call to dispute the notion that her father was in direct control of the entire fortune, estimated at $3.4 billion net worth, and provided evidence that it was actually split among several family members.” The error could be somewhat forgiven because Gerard Louis-Dreyfus has appeared on Forbes’ billionaires list for more than a decade, without a single call to dispute the information until now. Despite the family politics that apparently came into play recently, the Forbes spokeswoman added that “he most likely will not appear on the Forbes billionaires list moving forward.” A spokeswoman for Julia Louis-Dreyfus insisted the forbes.com listing was incorrect and asked WWD to “please stop perpetuating the lie.” No word on whether that included the “hot” distinction. — Amy Wicks