Most Recent Articles In Media Features
Latest Media Features Articles
- HBO, Mitre Defamation Suit Nears Conclusion
- Designers Tease Met Gala Red Carpet Looks on Instagram
- Images of the Week
More Articles By
WWD’s week in quotes, culled from stories that ran the week of March 31 to April 4.
• “I’m interested in discovering the drama in real life. That’s where you get inspiration for the fake ones.” — Lupita Nyong’o who has signed on to a deal with Lancome.
• “I mean, in New York City, nothing creates an appetite like unavailability. But we wanted something accessible, that’s the way we designed it from the beginning.” — Graydon Carter on his most recent restaurant venture, the Beatrice Inn.
• “We don’t care about the business model. We care about the experience for the customer.” — Claudio Del Vecchio, Brooks Brothers.
• “You’re probably not familiar with our company, but you probably are familiar with the saying ‘You don’t know s–t from Shinola.’” — Heath Carr, chief executive officer of Shinola’s parent Bedrock Manufacturing Co.
• “Our guy is the New York guy who is the connector of the world. He’s strong, he knows his fashion, he loves his details with fabric and fit.” — Maxwell Osborne of Public School.
• “We like to create our own rules.” — Nicola Formichetti on showing his first collection for Diesel on Twitter.
• “We would offer Kim and Kanye, the couple who has everything, anonymity. One of the Maison’s most treasured codes.” — Maison Martin Margiela.
• “Boy, she had an appetite for jewelry — I can tell you that. The magic would begin when she was alone in a [private] wood-paneled room with Richard Burton, and she started choosing the jewelry.” — Nicola Bulgari on Elizabeth Taylor.
• “The customer is in the driver’s seat. We’re just trying to get in front of what she wants.” — Karen Katz, president and chief executive officer of Neiman Marcus Group Ltd. LLC, speaking about technology at the Oracle Industry Connect Conference.
• “She is a client; she shops for herself. We are very happy that she wears our clothes. She is a discrete and efficient woman.” — Dominique Hazan, general manager of Georges Rech and Apostrophe, on newly-elected Paris mayor, Anne Hildago.
• “I’ve never really looked into archives anywhere I’ve worked, actually…I feel, like it or hate it, it doesn’t matter. I just like it to be strong. I think it’s worth doing something differently.” — Phoebe Philo, Celine.
• “I do everything. I sketch, I try the shoes, I do everything. I’m surprised that people have teams, that’s crazy. The only thing I don’t do is the sizing, because I don’t like numbers.” — Manolo Blahnik speaking at the Vogue Festival.
• “It has to be organic; you can’t strategize Instagram months in advance. It’s called Instagram — it has the word ‘insta’ in it.” — designer Diane von Furstenberg.
• “It’s almost a very selfish line that we made for us,” — Tina Craig, who launched the Bag Snob blog in 2005, on the new collection launching on HSN.
• “Charles James had nothing to do with fashion. Rather, he applied himself to the rigors of mathematics in the creation of fashion” — Designer Ralph Rucci writing in the prologue of the new book, “Charles: James: Beyond Fashion.”