Most Recent Articles In Clothing/Furnishings
Latest Clothing/Furnishings Articles
- Michael Andrews Bespoke Names Charles Dean Creative Director <span class='article-title-premium-container' style='font-size:.5em;display:none;vertical-align:middle;padding:.25em;margin: 0 0 0 .25em;'>Premium</span>
- Samuelsohn to Embrace Performance, Technology for Spring <span class='article-title-premium-container' style='font-size:.5em;display:none;vertical-align:middle;padding:.25em;margin: 0 0 0 .25em;'>Premium</span>
- Five Four Launches New Republic by Mark McNairy <span class='article-title-premium-container' style='font-size:.5em;display:none;vertical-align:middle;padding:.25em;margin: 0 0 0 .25em;'>Premium</span>
More Articles By
A list of the must-have items for men this summer.
1. PAUL & SHARK, ADMIRAL’S CUP COLLECTION COTTON ROUND-NECK HOODIE
The world is heating up and water levels are rising. You need to look the part. Wear this with a Dark ’n’ Stormy, captain.
$445, Paul & Shark, 667 Madison Ave., New York.
This story first appeared in the June 4, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
2. PERSOL SUNGLASSES, SUPREMA STEVE MCQUEEN PO 714
The original version of these shades, worn by Hollywood’s favorite antihero in The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), fetched $70,000 at auction. A reason- able facsimile can be yours for…
3. ORLEBAR BROWN SWIMSUIT, “THE SPRINGER”
OB’s shortest short yet—seven centimeters. For the brave.
4. MAISON KITSUNÉ MULTICOLOR POLO
By late July you’ll hate all of your summer shirts. That’s when you will remember that you read this little entry right here. This is the polo with that elusive California- meets-Paris vibe.
5. JACK BLACK SUNGUARD SUNSCREEN SPF 45
Time to make a confession. Nothing on this list is actually a “must,” with the possible exception of sunscreen. And this one is our favorite at the beach for its water resistance.
$21 for a 4 oz. tube, getjackblack.com.
6. KANYE WEST, UNTITLED SUMMERTIME 2013 RELEASE
It’s a mystery, these days, when new music is going to drop. When this one emerges from the studio—mid-June is the rumor—we’ll need to check it out, at the very least. Kanye is irritating; Kanye is a genius. Be interesting to see how that shakes out this time around.
7. MICHAEL BASTIAN WIN- DOWPANE CHECKED BLAZER
Smart, cheeky. Lightweight linen and silk. OK for croquet or smokes on the dock at the end of another long summer night.
8. WESTWARD LEANING “FUTURISM” SUNGLASSES
The inspiration for this bronze-embellished objet is Italian sculptor Umberto Boccioni’s 1913 sculpture of a man deformed by vast speed. Aren’t we all.
9. MAISON MARTIN MARGIELA MESSENGER BAG
Leather. Croc trim. Detachable shoulder strap. Great for schlepping your top-secret docs across town and overseas.
10. CALIBRE DE CARTIER CHRONOGRAPH WATCH
You won’t be watching the clock too much this summer, but when you do, gaze at this self-winding timepiece in 18K rose gold and alligator skin.
11. BLUE JASMINE
The 77-year-old Woody Allen is back in the U.S.A., and he’s brought Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett, Louis C.K., and Andrew Dice Clay with him. Sounds great—or terrible. Either way, we’re there. (July 26)
12. BEST MADE HORN WHISKEY TUMBLERS
You may not be a lumberjack—this brand’s signature item is a very expensive, very attractive axe (for actually cutting wood)—but you can certainly drink like one.
$89 for a set of two, 36 White St., New York, bestmadeco.com.
13. THE WAY, WAY BACK
You’ll take your nephew on a rainy day, and you’ll both have a hard time pretending you can’t relate to 14-year-old Duncan. From the writers of The Descendants, it’s a coming-of-age story in Little Miss Sunshine mode, with Steve Carell and Toni Collette. (July 5)
Love ’em or hate ’em; dandies have style. It’s the garments and artwork of Beau Brummell, Oscar Wilde, Waris Ahluwalia. Go…maybe take notes.
Through Aug. 18. Risd Museum, 224 Benefit St., Providence, R.I.
IN FOCUS: ED RUSCHA
Ruscha’s sixties and seventies photobooks of apartment buildings, gas stations, Googie billboards, and the streets of L.A. It’s a part of a summer-long focus on SoCal’s modern architecture.
Through Setp. 27. J. Paul Getty Museum, 1200 Getty Center Drive, L.A.
It’s the signature drink this summer at Tales of the Cocktail, the ultimate bartending event held each year in New Orleans. Jigger out this version, per Jeff Bell of New York’s PDT, who’ll be knocking them back at the event and appears in the recent documentary Hey, Bartender.
2 oz. Hendrick’s Gin
.75 oz. fresh lime juice
.75 oz. Aperol 1
2 oz. club soda
Muddle the cucumber slice, then add Aperol, lime, and gin. Shake with ice and strain into a chilled 8 oz. fizz glass.