Most Recent Articles In Designer and Luxury
Latest Designer and Luxury Articles
More Articles By
MILAN — Valentino will stage a runway show in Florence on Jan. 11 as a special guest of Pitti Uomo, the international men’s wear exhibition held in the Italian city.
This story first appeared in the October 27, 2011 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Creative directors Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli will present the Roman brand’s fall-winter 2012-2013 collection. This will be their first men’s runway show for the brand.
Raffaello Napoleone, chief executive officer of Pitti Immagine, which organizes Pitti Uomo, praised Chiuri and Piccioli’s designs. “Their work develops the sartorial savoir faire of a house that has made the history of fashion with a dynamic and contemporary spirit,” he said. “They blend tradition and innovation with a visionary and pragmatic approach: elements that Pitti Immagine has always appreciated and sought in fashion designers.” The executive said it was the right moment to offer them an opportunity to express “the new vision of the Valentino man.”
Previous special guests at Pitti Uomo include Band of Outsiders, Jil Sander and John Varvatos.
After studying at the Istituto Europeo di Design in Rome, Chiuri and Piccioli worked at Fendi for 10 years, helping to expand the brand’s accessories, including the iconic Baguette style.
In 1999, designer Valentino Garavani tapped them to create a line of luxury accessories. In September 2007, when the couturier retired, they were named creative directors of all the brand’s accessories. A year later, they were promoted to creative directors of the house, showing their first couture collection in Paris in January 2009.
The designers have been building the men’s division for the brand, adding a young, sleek and modernist touch to this category, with crisp fabrics and couture touches.
Crediting a rejuvenated product range and citing growth across all categories and geographies, Valentino returned to the black in the first half, posting net profits of 2.6 million euros, or $3.7 million, compared with a loss of 7.4 million euros, or $9.1 million, in the same period last year.
Dollar figures are converted from euros at average exchange rates for the period.
In the six months ended June 30, revenues rose 24 percent to 152 million euros, or $220.4 million. Sales are expected to reach more than 300 million euros, or $408 million at current exchange, in 2011.
In September, Valentino unveiled its first stand-alone men’s boutique in Asia in the basement of The Landmark in Hong Kong.
The brand was acquired by European private equity firm Permira and part of the Marzotto family in 2007.