Most Recent Articles In Ready-to-Wear and Sportswear
Latest Ready-to-Wear and Sportswear Articles
- Quinn Offers Limited-Edition Collection
- Haney Pushes for Growth Via Social Media Campaign
- Colombian Fashion Institute Inexmoda Eyes Latam Expansion
More Articles By
1983: David Chu launches Nautica with six pieces of men’s outerwear.
1984: Nautica hits $2.5 million in sales.
• State-O-Maine purchases Nautica brand for $500,000.
1991: Brand expands into men’s sleepwear and loungewear.
This story first appeared in the February 7, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
1993: State-O-Maine is renamed Nautica Enterprises.
1994: Eyewear is introduced.
1996: Men’s jeans, Nautica Competition and Nautica Kids make their debut.
• Nautica Voyage, a men’s fragrance, is introduced.
1997: Women’s swimwear and men’s tailored clothing are launched.
1998: Nautica expands into home
1999: Women’s sleepwear and Latitude/Longitude fragrance are introduced.
2000: Women’s jeans are added.
2001: The company opens a flagship in Rockefeller Center in New York.
2002: Men’s underwear is launched.
2003: VF Corp. purchases Nautica for $600 million.
• Chris Heyn is named president of Nautica Sportswear.
2004: David Chu exits the brand. Rockefeller Center store closes.
2005: Infant and juvenile bedding is introduced
• Navigate Life campaign launches; 20th store in Italy and 150th store in China open.
2006: Women’s sportswear and Voyage fragrance are added.
2007: Karen Murray is named president of Nautica.
• My Voyage fragrance is introduced.
2008: E-commerce site is launched; luggage is added.
2009: Oceans fragrance launches.
• Outdoor furniture is added and indoor furniture is relaunched.
• Men’s and children’s footwear and women’s outerwear are added.
• Nautica becomes the largest corporate sponsor of Oceana. Advertising is brought in-house.
2010: Pure Nautica fragrance launches.
• An interactive blog called Nautica360 and social media platform make their debut.
• The company launches Ocean to Ocean marketing campaign.
2011: Pure Nautica Discovery fragrance is added.
• The brand sponsors the Prudential Center in Newark.
• The Keys furniture collection is added.
2012: Give Change to Make Change ad campaign is launched.
• Brand launches in South Korea and signs licensing deal for India.
• Nautica becomes a sponsor of Charity: Water.
• Aqua Rush men’s fragrance launches with Coty.
2013: Nautica marks 30 years in business with a special anniversary collection.
Source: Nautica and WWD Archives