Most Recent Articles In Retail Features
Latest Retail Features Articles
- Milan Developer Plots Revival of Historic L.A. Arts District Building
- How True & Co.’s Michelle Lam Found What Women Want in a Bra
- Pinterest’s David Rubin on ‘Me–First’ Fashion
More Articles By
NEW YORK — With less than four weeks to go, Fashion’s Night Out, once again, looks like it will be a Champagne-and-canapés-fueled night of special retail initiatives and celebrities, whose mission is to stimulate spending.
This story first appeared in the August 13, 2012 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Now in its fourth year, the annual shopping event will take place on Sept. 6, in more than 500 cities nationwide, with much of the retail activity across New York. Here, some of the highlights for Manhattan:
• Kim Kardashian will be at Lord & Taylor to meet fans who purchased her True Reflection fragrance. She will be joined at the store by several designers and personalities of note, including Max, Lubov and Joyce Azria, Jill Zarin, and Kristi Yamaguchi.
• Speaking of the Kardashian clan, Scott Disick will be serving as a host for the Guilty Pleasure Lounge at Macy’s Men’s Lounge. The department store will also mark the opening of its new shoe floor with a special fashion trivia game there hosted by Michael Kors, and Tommy Hilfiger and actress Britt Robinson will also be at the Herald Square location for a Tommy Girl fashion presentation.
RELATED STORY: FNO, London Style >>
• Saks Fifth Avenue will have its share of designer appearances, including Oscar de la Renta for the launch of his new fragrance Essential Luxuries. Rebecca Minkoff will be on hand for a performance by Juliette Lewis of The Voice; Erin Fetherston will partner with hairstylist Edward Tricomi, who is going to offer to cut shoppers’ bangs in the designer’s trademark style, and Kimberly Ovitz is teaming up with Rihanna’s tattoo artist Josh Lord of East Side Ink on custom designs.
• Henri Bendel will bring a Las Vegas flavor to its store with a casino night, a performance by Cirque Du Soleil’s Zumanity and custom Swarovski FNO T-shirts and phone cases for sale.
• Bergdorf Goodman will use the night to kick off its 111th anniversary celebration with designers such as Lela Rose, Michael Bastian, Naeem Khan, Rachel Zoe, Thakoon and a book signing with Sara James Mnookin, who authored “Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman.”
• Bloomingdale’s will include appearances by Matchbox 20, Kelly Rutherford for Magaschoni, and Real Housewife of New York and Yummie Tummy founder Heather Thomson, as well as a BMW motorcycle stunt driver expected to be positioned on the Third Avenue side of the New York flagship.
Several celebrities and socials will also make their way to the city’s designer boutiques. Patricia Lansing, Jessica Seinfeld and Stephanie Winston Wolkoff will be at CH Carolina Herrera for a CH Kids’ party benefiting Baby Buggy. Azealia Banks will perform at MAC Cosmetics, while Solange Knowles will be the special guest DJ at Diane von Furstenberg.
Further information on the night and retail events is available at fashionsnightout.com.
The event will be accompanied with a special Fashion’s Night Out collection, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the New York City AIDS Fund in the NY Community Trust.
FNO, which was created in 2009 to celebrate fashion, boost consumer confidence and retailer’s bottom lines, is a collaboration between American Vogue, the Council of Fashion Designers of America, NYC & Company and the City of New York.