PARIS — Retailers saw heavy traffic on Monday on the Champs-Élysées, despite an alert following several attacks staged by a gunman in Paris, Edouard Lefebvre, general deputy for the Comité Champs-Élysées, told WWD.
This story first appeared in the November 19, 2013 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Retail tenants on the tree-lined thoroughfare range from luxury brands such as Louis Vuitton and Cartier to fashion chains including H&M and Zara. Vuitton said business was unaffected.
A manhunt was still under way in the French capital at 6 p.m. local time after the gunman attacked the offices of the newspaper Libération and opened fire outside the Société Générale bank earlier in the day.
A photographer was seriously injured at Libération. According to reports, the perpetrator hijacked a car and forced the driver to take him to the Champs-Élysées, one of the most popular shopping streets in the French capital.
Police are looking for the same man who broke into the Paris offices of the 24-hour news channel BFMTV on Friday.
Police have been stationed outside several media offices in Paris. Libération said images of the suspect on its video cameras correspond with those of the attacker at BFMTV.
People were encouraged to stay indoors and a police helicopter patrolled from the skies.