Movado chief executive officer Efraim Grinberg has taken a firm stance regarding trade shows in the digital age.The New Jersey-based executive said: “For us and our customer base, Baselworld has become less relevant over time, trade fairs are less relevant as the world changes and as e-commerce becomes a bigger presence.”Thus, the watch brand has opted out of the forthcoming Baselworld fair, to be held in Basel, Switzerland from March 22 through 27.Instead, the firm has “reinvested” the funds it would have spent on the fair to create its own retail retreat in Davos, Switzerland.The Movado Group Summit, to take place from March 17 through 20, will offer 300 or so guests and immersive Movado experience.Movado Group brands and licenses including Ebel, Concord, Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Juicy Couture, Lacoste and more will be represented. Many of these brands will introduce new products at the summit.Attendees will have access to panel discussions addressing such topics as social media best-practices, marketing, digital commerce and retail innovation. A keynote speaker is also scheduled to make an address at the event’s gala dinner, but their identity would not be revealed “for security reasons,” according to a spokesperson.Many of the event’s panels incorporate Movado’s new key hires in the digital space.Grinberg estimated that the Davos event will only cost about 20 percent of what the firm would ordinarily spend on Baselworld. The remaining 80 percent of funds have been invested in digital hires and the creation of a Digital Center of Excellence.Behzad Soltani has joined the firm as chief digital officer, responsible for developing technologies and consumer-facing initiatives. He comes to Movado from Boxed, where he served as vice president and general manager.Additionally, Michelle Barna-Stern has been named Movado’s vice president of social media. She comes to the company from 360i, where she served as vice president of social marketing.“Basel is very, very expensive. We had nine brands at Basel with nine booths that you have to put up and take down. It’s one of the reasons we felt we should head to Davos — only 20 percent of our Basel costs will be reinvested in Davos, while the remaining 80 percent are allocated to consumer-facing initiatives,” Grinberg said of the firm’s new strategy.Grinberg declined to disclose what the Davos conference will cost attendees. He noted that the timepiece firm would not pay for flights to the event.The 2017 Baselworld conference clocked 135,000 visitors, down from 145,000 in 2016.In November, the fair announced that it would halve its exhibitor list and shorten the event’s length by two days in a response to flagging watch sales. Baselworld also reduced the price of its booth rentals by 10 percent.
A first look at @virgilabloh’s sneakers for @louisvuitton. Abloh spoke to WWD about his debut collection for Louis Vuitton, creating @kendalljenner’s #metgala outfit and redefining the heritage brand. Read the full story on WWD.com. #wwdfashion 📷: @alfredo_piola)
The world’s largest producer of denim @iskodenim is sharing the strategy behind its product development process. Read our full interview with ISKO’s product development manager Baris Ozden on the company’s extensive research practices, upcoming denim trends and the latest material innovations on WWD.com. #iskodenim
“I genuinely fell in love with water, I fell in love with Fiji, I fell in love with the whole life that we lived for those few months,” says @mrsamclaflin of filming for his new movie “Adrift” with @shailenewoodley. The 31-year-old actor spoke with WWD about his upcoming projects, meeting Jamie Dornan and working with co-star Woodley. #wwdeye (📷: @jamstoker)
3 years ago, fans of the late singer Aaliyah started calling for a collaboration with @maccosmetics. With the strength of social media — including mock ups of products — 25,000 people signed a Change.org petition for a limited-edition collection, and MAC couldn’t ignore the buzz. Tomorrow, MAC will unveil MAC x Aaliyah, a tribute to the singer who passed away nearly 17 years ago. Head to our stories to preview the new collection, which was worked on by Aaliyah’s family and inspired directly by her makeup bag. #wwdbeauty
Artistic director @clarewaightkeller will be dedicating @givenchyofficial’s fall 2018 couture show in Paris on July 1 to house founder Hubert de Givenchy, who passed away in March at age 91. Givenchy said the collection would be “an homage to his iconic creations, technique, and personal lexicon” and a “celebration of his timeless elegance and grace.” Head to WWD.com to read more. #wwdfashion (📷: Delphine Achard)
La Double J made a name for itself with its vintage-inspired prints, but for resort, designer JJ Martin has ventured into new territory: enter rich jewel toned solids and decadent embellishment, in the form of appliqués, crystals and sequins. #wwdfashion #resort19 #ladoublej
This Just In: J. Crew Group has named Johanna Uurasjarvi as its chief design officer.
Uurasjarvi succeeds Somsack Sikhounmuong, who left the company last September. Tap the link in bio for the full report. #wwdnews
“She came into my hotel room and she was like, ‘I have Chanel and Christian Dior.’ She was like, ‘Chanel likes you.’ And I was like, ‘I’m going to start crying,’” breakout star Maddie Hasson tells WWD of her styling sessions Molly Dickson. “I really like classic, elegant things. I love the way Anna Wintour dresses.” Read more about Hasson’s role in @impulseseries on wwd.com. (📸: @jgreenery ) #wwdeye
@virgilabloh revealed he's working with Australian stylist and
Vogue Australia fashion director @christinecentenera for his debut @louisvuitton men's collection, which will be presented in Paris on June 21. Centenera met Abloh while both working with Kanye West, where she consulted on his all his runway collections since his debut spring 2012 women's wear show. Read the full story on WWD.com. #wwdfashion #wwdnews (📷: @asussmanphoto)