Skip to main content

HydraFacial to Enter Galeries Lafayette as It Reports Record Results

HydraFacial's net sales came in at $103.5 million in the three months ended June 30.

HydraFacial, the procedure best known for sucking gunk out of pores, may already be available at French aestheticians, but in September it will be making its retail debut when it enters the new wellness floor at Galeries Lafayette Haussmann in Paris.

The brand is partnering with the department store’s aesthetic clinic provider Innerskin to have a spot on the retailer’s mega wellness floor called La Wellness Galerie, which will span more than 30,000 square feet with an offering covering wellness, beauty, self-care, energy and sport when it officially opens its doors in September. In advance of its grand opening, consumers can already book their HydraFacial treatment online.

“In France, it’s our first step into retail so we really wanted to do it with Galeries Lafayette because they are the leading retailer there in the space,” BeautyHealth president and chief executive officer Andrew Stanleick said in an interview. He previously oversaw Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian’s beauty businesses at Coty Inc.

Related Galleries

Around 60 percent of HydraFacial’s distribution is through medical channels such as dermatologists and plastic surgeons, while the other 40 percent is classed as non-medical channels and includes retail. In the U.S., it’s in Sephora, Nordstrom and Ulta, and in the U.K., it is available at John Lewis.

While it has its own brand HydraFacial serums and boosters, it also partners with the likes of Murad and SkinCeuticals to use their products and in the fall will be joining forces with JLo Beauty on a glow booster to use with the devices.

The news comes as BeautyHealth, the company behind HydraFacial that went public through a SPAC, reported record net sales of $103.5 million in the three months ended June 30, up from $66.5 million in the same period a year earlier. In the Americas, its largest business, sales surged 77 percent to $75.4 million, while sales for Europe, the Middle East and Africa were 56 percent higher at $17.8 million. In Asia-Pacific, sales decreased to $10.4 million from $12.4 due to COVID-19 lockdowns.

Net income was $7.9 million, compared with a net loss of $139.4 million a year earlier. On an adjusted basis, income was $2.2 million, down from $7.8 million in 2021.

“Our spectacular results this quarter reflect the growing strength of our business, the enthusiasm of our providers and consumers, and the accelerating demand for HydraFacial around the world,” said Stanleick. “We delivered our highest-ever quarterly net sales on record delivery system sales. We remain as confident as ever in our business and are raising our full-year net sales guidance by $10 million, up to $340 million to $350 million, and reaffirming our $50 million 2022 adjusted EBITDA [earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization] outlook as we continue to invest in our growth.”

As for M&A, Stanleick told WWD that while the company is prudent, if it can find the right complementary service or device “then we would really like to seize that opportunity to grow,” noting that it raised close to $1 billion of capital last fall.