• BEAUTY GIVES BACK: The Beauty Leadership Group, an initiative meant to help disadvantaged young people find employment, was launched in London last month. Part of the Prince’s Trust charity, the program’s aim is to raise funds to give young people a support system to help kick-start their careers. It will also liaise with players within the industry to offer training and work placements. “We want to raise awareness that we are an industry and that we create jobs,” said Michelle Feeney, chief executive officer of St. Tropez, who also chairs the Beauty Leadership Group. “There is a wealth of opportunity for careers within the beauty industry.” The Prince’s Trust, which was founded by Prince Charles, works with young people who often have had difficult life experiences. “This will save lives, there’s no doubt about that,” said Martina Milburn, the charity’s chief executive.

This story first appeared in the November 20, 2009 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.

• MAX FACTOR ON FILM: After a number of fashion labels took to the Internet to showcase their spring shows live online, now beauty brands are getting in on the act. Max Factor marked the launch of its Second Skin foundation in the U.K. recently by sponsoring a beauty editorial shoot on photographer Nick Knight’s SHOWstudio Web site, during which Max Factor’s global cosmetics creative design director, Pat McGrath, made up four models to Max Factor’s brief of “beautiful skin.” The shoot took place recently at London’s Somerset House, where Knight’s photography and film exhibition, “Fashion Revolution,” is being held. The all-day shoot could be viewed either via the SHOWstudio Web site or through a two-way mirror at the exhibition space. During the shoot, viewers could peek at Knight shooting models, McGrath perfecting the models’ makeup and assistants moving equipment on set. The live shoots are an ongoing part of Knight’s exhibition, which aims to give visitors an insider’s perspective on how fashion images are made.

You May Also Like

• COOKING UP A DEAL?: Press reports circulating Thursday suggested consumer goods company Reckitt Benckiser is gearing up to announce an international deal. An article in the U.K.’s The Daily Telegraph newspaper said “well-placed sources” believe that Colgate-Palmolive Co. is “the most obvious candidate” and suggested such a deal would have to be structured as a merger. Spokespeople for the companies declined comment. The Telegraph article also said that SSL International has “always been tipped as a target for Reckitt.”

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus