In an age of insta-trends, illumination has proved enduring. It first trended with shimmery primers and powders,
but has quickly cascaded throughout skin care and makeup with multifunctional products that moisturize, destress and brighten the skin. Radiance products are now considered their own category; Marla Malcolm Beck, cofounder
of Bluemercury, reports a 250 percent increase in launches and a 50 percent increase in category growth. “It’s going to accelerate when you look at where spring trends are going,” she predicts, noting the category is now expanding to body. “It’s that nude face with a hint of gloss or shine…a sheer sort of ethereal glow.”
This story first appeared in the December 9, 2016 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Natural ingredients address the delicate under-eye area.
1. Dr. Dennis Gross C+ Collagen Brighten & Firm Eye Cream, $65
A vitamin C complex stimulates collagen production and increases radiance.
2. Skyn Iceland Brightening Eye Serum, $35
Icelandic glacial water, cranberry seed oil and cucumber extract help resurface fine lines and soothe skin.
You May Also Like
3. Nuxe Nuxellence Eye Area, $54
The metallic, rounded applicator allows for a cooling application that refreshes on contact.
4. Aveda Tulasara Wedding Masque Eye Overnight, $55
Inspired by the Indian pre-wedding Haldi ceremony, the turmeric and algae extract in this eye mask brighten and de-puff under-eye bags.
Pink hues and iridescent highlighters give a pop of color.
1. Kevyn Aucoin Neo-Limelight, $58
This highly pigmented ombré palette allows users to tailor the specific amount of color.
2. Wet ’n’ Wild Mega Glo Makeup Stick Blush in Peach Bums, $3.99
The portable nature of this blush stick gives users an easy, on-the-go way to swipe on a healthy glow.
3. Bobbi Brown Cheek Glow Palette in Pink Opal/Homecoming Pink, $50
Part of a four stockkeeping unit color range, this version offers a creamy pink blush to use under the transparent, shimmery illuminator.
4. By Terry Glow-Expert Duo Stick in Terra Rose, $48
With a blush/highlighter at one end and a brush on the other, this stick delivers a fast, customizable dose of color.
New formulas add luminosity while combating dryness and environmental pollutants.
1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hydrating Serum, $17.99
Purified hyaluronic acid plumps up dry skin cells, making the face look rested and radiant.
2.BareMinerals Brilliant Future Age Defense & Renew Serum, $50
Manganese, vitamin C and olive leaf extract combat pollutants and are said to smooth and brighten skin.
3. Darphin Lumière Essentielle Illuminating Oil Gel-Cream, $72
Tangerine, orange and neroli oils revitalize the skin in this lightweight gel that has a subtle shimmer.
4. Glamglow Volcasmic Matte Glow Moisturizer, $49
The matte texture of this moisturizer melts instantly into skin, leaving a glowing finish that mimics a creamlike consistency
Multifunctional products add luminosity.
1. Erborian Glow Crème, $39
Packed with ingredients used in traditional Korean medicine, this moisturizes, illuminates and primes skin.
2. Lorac Light Source Illuminating 3-in-1 Primer in Dusk, $35
Priming and illuminating the face, this pigmented highlighter has a bronze shimmer to impart a natural-looking tan.
3. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Strobing Liquid Illuminating Highlighter in Medium, $9.99
Whether worn alone or mixed in with foundation, this strobing liquid gives skin a pearlescent shine.
4.Givenchy Mémoire de Forme Highlighter in Pink Ink, $45
Comprised of 72 percent water, this pink gel gives skin a dewy look with its finish.