Copenhagen was left reeling Monday from the double terror attacks over the weekend.
Danish police shot dead a man in the Nørrebro district early Sunday suspected of carrying out shooting attacks at a free-speech event and then at a Copenhagen central synagogue, killing two men. Five police officers were also wounded in the attacks.
Security was raised to the highest levels across the city. The later attack outside a synagogue happened around 1 a.m. local time, a stone’s throw from the city’s pedestrian and shopping area.
“We had to make room around places where police had operations,” Steen Hansen, a spokesman for Copenhagen police, told WWD.
Investigations continued on Sunday and the city was still on “higher alert” with more police officers deployed than usual. “They are working on assignments. We believe the suspect who was shot and killed is the gunman of the attacks but we need to know everything he did prior to and after the shootings,” said Hansen.
“There is no restriction at Copenhagen’s airport. The city is as normal as it can be today [after deadly attacks],” Hansen added.
On Monday, security was doubled at Illum, one of the city’s main department stores.
“We upgraded security on Saturday afternoon after the first attack,” said Søren Vadmand, chief executive officer of Illum.
“The store is undergoing major renovations [following its acquisition in 2013 by Italy’s La Rinascente] and workers were working during the night, so we doubled up the number of night guards on Saturday. The suspect was still on the run and we were afraid we would be on the lookout for a place to hide,” he explained.
On Sunday, the store opened on normal hours and footfall was up slightly compared to last year, according to Vadmand.
“Traffic is moving, but everyone moves slow. Copenhagen has always been a safe and lively city, and I never thought anything like this could happen here,” said Danish designer Freya Dalsjø. “I wish for Copenhagen to show the world that we stand united as a place of freedom and tolerance.”
“Everyone here in Copenhagen is deeply affected by the attack of a mad man,” said Eva Kruse, chief executive officer of Copenhagen Fashion Week.
“I feel a profound sadness but also resentment towards those who wish to limit the values of our society: Our freedom as people and our freedom of speech,” she added. “This is a time for reflection and for strengthening our values as free societies and working together across religions and beliefs to fight the extremists and dark mindsets.”
“It’s a horrible and sad situation and we feel it was a matter of time before [terrorist attacks] happened [here],” said Anne Sofie Madsen in a phone call from her studio in the city center. The designer has been “sewing and stitching all weekend” ahead of her show on March 3 during Paris Fashion Week.
“We went to Illum with the girls to grab lunch and it was busy. People were shopping,” she said.
The Wood Wood shop, like most stores in Denmark, is closed on Sundays. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the people impacted by yesterday’s horrible events,” said Morten Meldgaard, a spokesman for Wood Wood.
Meldgaard walked pedestrian streets on Sunday. “People are out and enjoying a crisp, cold Sunday.”