18-1 spring summer looks

G-Star Raw, a denim and apparel brand, said it developed its “most sustainable jean to date,” made of 100 percent organic cotton and manufactured via the “cleanest indigo dyeing process in the world.”

The brand’s spring 2018 collection will offer its stylish, slouchy G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean together with the D-Staq RFTPi denim jacket, which were “developed by analyzing each part of the denim design process and exploring how to reduce the environmental impact at every step,” the company said. The items for both men and women will be available in-store and online Feb. 15, and will retail from $180 to $250.

G-Star said it partnered with its suppliers DyStar, a dyestuff and chemical manufacturer and solution provider and Artistic Milliners, a vertical denim manufacturer based in Pakistan, to form its new eco-friendly indigo technology. Its special sauce is formulated with 70 percent less chemicals — sans salts and salt by-product — throughout the reduction and dyeing process, the company said. G-Star also partnered with Saitex, an eco-friendly denim manufacturer and long-established partner, to make and wash the products sustainably. Via renewable energy and additional sustainable technologies, 98 percent of water in the process is recycled and reused, while the remaining 2 percent is evaporated.

Its denim is made of 100 percent organic cotton grown without synthetic fertilizers and toxic pesticides, according to the brand. The collection is part of its Raw for the Planet initiative: It features eco finish metal buttons and is manufactured without rivets or zippers, which are not conducive to “easy recycling,” the brand said. And all its labeling and carton packaging is responsibly sourced. The brand said it worked with its mill partner to certify its material as the first-ever denim fabric to be Cradle to Cradle Certified at the Gold Level by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute.

18-1 spring summer looks

A look from G-Star Raw’s spring 2018 collection.  Gido Leijtens, G-Star RAW

“Almost everyone has a pair of jeans in their closet,” said Frouke Bruinsma, corporate responsibility director of G-Star. “As a key player in this market, G-Star takes responsibility to lead by example in promoting sustainable denim innovation. Our new denim fabric and its revolutionary indigo process will become an open source for the rest of the industry to use. We would like to invite others to join us toward cleaner and more ethical denim production globally.”

Omer Ahmed, director of Artistic Milliners, said “Together we have pioneered a radical new dyeing method which is hydro and salt free, we call the process ‘Crystal Clear.’ This is perhaps the most radical change to the indigo dyeing process since its industrialization.” Ahmed continued, “Even though this formula is in its infancy we are hopeful that in due time it will be adopted by the denim industry at large as there is an unprecedented environmental/water saving potential in using this method.”

And G-Star recently introduced its new capsule collection of denim colored via Archroma’s EarthColors, a range of dyes made from recycled plant waste sourced from up to 100 percent renewable resources. For this collection, Archroma’s patented plant-based dyes — made of left overs from herbal extraction and the agriculture industry — yield “Dark Plum,” “Asfalt” and “Mazarine Blue” colors, which are made from the non-edible parts of beetroot and saw palmetto. Archroma’s EarthColors range was the Gold Winner of the OutDoor Industry Award in 2017 in the Sustainable Innovations category.

Paul Cowell, global head of brand marketing, brand and performance textile specialties for Archroma, said “G-Star is the very first denim brand to collaborate with Archroma to create a collection of colored jeans,” and that “we hope they will inspire more denim brands and retailers to switch to sustainable dyeing ingredients that, like EarthColors, allow creating gorgeous colors — and at the same time are so much gentler on our planet.”

For More Textile News From WWD, See:

Fashion Search Engine Identifies Top Fall Color Trends

PrimaLoft Partners With Victor Capital Partners

DNA Technology Supports Supply Chain Traceability

Preferred Fibers and Materials Report Demonstrates Growth

Lenzing Group Launches Its ‘Tencel Luxe’ Product