LONDON — De Beers Société Anonyme, the diamond miner majority owned by Anglo American plc, has named Mark Cutifani chairman and non-executive director of the De Beers Group, effective immediately.

Cutifani is also the new chief executive of Anglo American plc, having taken up his post in April.

In a statement, Cutifani asserted that, “the company is poised to capture the considerable opportunities in front of us as diamond demand outpaces supply for years to come.”

Cutifani replaces Cynthia Carroll, who resigned her post last October, barely a month after she was appointed. Caroll is also the former chief executive of Anglo American.

Anglo American holds an 85 percent stake in De Beers, with the government of Botswana owning the remaining 15 percent stake.

Before Carroll was appointed chairman of De Beers, Nicky Oppenheimer held the job. He stepped down from that role last September.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus