After more than a week of silence, Kate Upton has come forward with specifics on the alleged misconduct she hinted at earlier on social media against Guess cofounder Paul Marciano.
Upton told Time she was shooting a lingerie campaign for Guess in July 2010 when Marciano grabbed her breasts and then continued to inappropriately touch her throughout the rest of the meeting. On a second shoot, Upton alleged Marciano harassed her, calling up to her hotel room and insisting to come up. The model said the following day she was dismissed from the job after her agency was told she had gained too much weight. Photographer Yu Tsai confirmed Upton’s story to Time.
Whether the latest claims trigger a new investigation by the Guess board remains to be seen. A company spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment, although Marciano told Time Upton’s allegations were false and added “I have pledged to Guess and its board of directors my full support and cooperation with a fair and impartial investigation.”
Upton’s initial comments on social media Jan. 31 alluded to misconduct by Marciano, which the executive strongly denied in the days following, more recently telling entertainment site TMZ the model’s accusations against him were retaliation after a failed photo shoot with the denim company.
Chatter surrounding the social media posts sent Guess shares in a free fall the following day, prompting the company to file a statement with the Securities & Exchange Commission Feb. 1, revealing the organization had launched an investigation in November into claims of misconduct by Marciano against two women. The filing said the board ultimately was unable to conclude if “either accusation has merit.”
The investigation was triggered at the time after a web site called The Blast reached out to the company on the allegations.
Guess also in that SEC filing said it intended to “fully investigate her [Upton’s] claims once they are known to determine if they have any merit.”