Wal-Mart said today that it is eager to settle the lawsuit that resulted from the June accident that injured comedian Tracey Morgan and left another entertainer dead when a Wal-Mart truck crashed with Morgan’s limo.

“Wal-Mart is committed to working to resolve all of the remaining issues as a result of the accident,” said a spokeswoman for the retailer. “As part of the ordinary course of legal proceedings, Wal-Mart filed an initial response yesterday [Tuesday] to the lawsuit that included facts and defenses that may impact the case moving forward.  While we were required to respond to the lawsuit, we have also taken steps to encourage settlement discussions. Our thoughts continue to go out to everyone involved, and we remain committed to doing what’s right.”

Morgan in July filed suit against Wal-Mart in U.S. District Court in New Jersey, claiming negligence on the part of the driver, a Wal-Mart employee, because he had been awake for more than 24 hours. Wal-Mart’s response to Morgan’s lawsuit, filed in Federal Court, said the actor and other passengers were partly or entirely responsible for their injuries because they didn’t wear the appropriate and available restraint devices, seat belts.

The comments drew a barrage of criticism against Wal-Mart online, on Twitter and other social media.

“I can’t believe Wal-Mart is blaming me for an accident they caused,” Morgan said in a statement issued Tuesday.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus