“DREAMING OF CHANEL” BOOK SIGNING AND “THEN & NOW” INSTALLATION
This story first appeared in the February 13, 2012 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.
Author Charlotte Smith will be on hand to sign copies of her latest book, “Dreaming of Chanel” (Simon & Schuster). In conjunction with a “Then & Now” concept installation, Smith will display the “Then” portion with 16 vintage dresses from her own famous designer collection — eight “little black dresses” and eight “little red dresses,” and WWDMAGIC will display the “Now” portion — eight modern designs selected from current exhibiting brands. Early birds will receive a free autographed copy of the book while supplies last.
Signings will take place Monday through Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
LVCC, North Hall, Level 1, WWDMAGIC
SPANISH ART INSTALLATION
Watch as influential Spanish artist Almeriane creates works like those that have won her a place in the collections of Spain’s king and other famous collectors, and launched the imaginative art-to-wear line from Los Angeles-based brand My Tribe.
Check out the custom 800-foot booth at the front of the North Hall, where the artist will be painting and available for interviews. Retailers who place an order for My Tribe at the show will become eligible to win one of an assortment of prizes, including scarves, books, and paintings.
Almeriane will be at her craft Monday through Wednesday.
LVCC, North Hall, Level 1, WWDMAGIC
SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY BETSEY JOHNSON
Designer Betsey Johnson will leave New York — right in the middle of fashion week — for an appearance at her booth on Tuesday, Feb. 14, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. No word on whether she’ll cartwheel down the aisle.
LVCC, Central Hall, Booth 73100
J. PIERCE LIVE MURAL
J. Pierce, a 22-year-old street and graffiti artist from Chicago who now calls Las Vegas home, will create and paint a 16-foot mural on the show floor during the three days of MAGIC. Known for his colorful graphic style, Pierce has branched into licensed collections of T-shirts, hats and shoes.
LVCC, Central Hall, Young Contemporary
WWDMAGIC is launching a multiplatform digital experience to provide showgoers with relevant digital products and information including workshops, panels, mobile applications, seminars, multiple blogger lounges and the “Buzz Boutique.”
The interactive experiences will offer attendees insight regarding key tools needed to market fashion businesses online and how to navigate the complex social media environment.
The Buzz Boutique is a gathering place for attendees to learn about the most vital tools for digital fashion marketing, from mobile applications to social media to digital advertising. Participating companies — including Google, eBay Fashion, Storesigns.com, Handshake, Volusion and Social Radius — each have applications and tools relevant to the business of fashion and will demonstrate their products as well as present workshops:
• eBay: Learn to leverage the power of the eBay global marketplace. Workshop times: Feb. 13 at 3 p.m., Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at 1 p.m.
• Google: Find out about the best online retail strategies with Google. Workshop times: Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at 11 a.m.
• Handshake: Explore mobile technologies that will allow you to process orders on the go in real time. Workshop times: Feb. 13 at noon, Feb. 14 at 4 p.m. and Feb. 15 at 3 p.m.
• Storesigns.com: Retail marketing comes to life through an exploration of ideas, technologies and tools. Workshop times: Feb. 13 at 2 p.m., Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at noon.
• Volusion: Get tips for navigating the social commerce wave, and learn about tools to help along the way. Workshop times: Feb. 13 at 11 a.m., Feb. 14 and Feb. 15 at 2 p.m.
• Social Radius: Getting the most from your blogger outreach campaigns, plus “The Five Pillars of Social Media Marketing.” Workshop times: Feb. 13 at 1 p.m. and Feb. 14 at 3 p.m.
LVCC, Concourse at WWDMAGIC