Staffers at Allure are bracing for more layoffs, WWD has learned.
The beauty-centric glossy will likely see staff changes in the coming days, building on broad-based job cuts last month. WWD has since learned that the majority of Allure’s 15-odd contributing editors were told their contracts would not be renewed.
Some of the contributors, who included Jeffrey Slonim; David DeNicolo; contributing editor at large Joan Kron, and Brooke Hauser, were believed to be offered the option to freelance for the magazine. The distinction between contributor and freelancer is big, as one carries a contract and a salary and the other entails being paid for stories by the word.
While the changes not only fit in with Condé Nast’s aggressive cost-cutting program, they also could signal similar shifts at sibling magazines with contributor-heavy mastheads, an insider suggested.
Condé Nast declined to comment on the reductions at Allure, but noted that job cuts and other budgetary reductions are left up to individual titles.
In the case of Allure, which is in the midst of a shake-up, the move to eliminate contributing editors is part of a larger changing of the guard. On Nov. 11, a source said founding editor in chief Linda Wells, who was informed by Condé Nast that she had been let go, was told to leave the building so that her replacement could be introduced to the magazine’s staff by artistic director Anna Wintour.
Lee, who most recently held the dual role of editor in chief and chief marketing officer at Nylon Media, has since been in interview-mode, bringing in potential new hires, sources said. The display has left some employees with a sense of unease that the job applicants could be their replacements.
At the same time, it has been noted that Allure, like other titles in the building, are also growing brands by hiring digitally savvy editors to shepherd the next iteration of Condé Nast.