By Allison Collins
with contributions from Faye Brookman
 on January 20, 2017
viviscal-hair-growth-program-group

Church & Dwight has acquired hair growth vitamin business Viviscal for 150 million euros, about $160 million.

Viviscal makes hair growth vitamins and products for men and women that are sold in more than 25,000 U.S. doors, including Walgreens, Target, CVS, Rite Aid, Harmon Face Values, Duane Reade, Ulta, Vitamin Discount Center, Wal-Mart and other retailers, as well as online. The company also offers replenishment services, where members of Viviscal Elite receive automatic supplement shipments every 90 days for $39.99.

The company’s products target hair loss, aiming to nourish both the hair and scalp. Viviscal includes a proprietary AminoMar marine complex blended with other nutrients that aims to promote hair growth.

The business is being sold by founder James Murphy, who owns a 90 percent stake, and Lifes2Good, Viviscal’s parent nutraceutical business, which owns the remaining 10 percent. IRI data for a recent 12-week period suggests that Viviscal has had about $8.5 million in tracked sales in multi-unit doors.

Church & Dwight owns brands like Arm & Hammer, Batiste dry shampoo, First Response pregnancy tests, L’il Critters vitamins, Nair Hair Remover, Orajel, Oxiclean, Trojan, VitaFusion and Xtra.

Investment bank Michel Dyens advised on the deal.

Beauty supplements have become an area of increased interest as the idea of beauty from the inside out permeates U.S. culture. The NPD Group, which tracks the prestige segment of the category, has noted beauty supplements as a growing movement.

More broadly, beauty has been a hotbed of M&A activity, with recent deals in color, skin care, hair care and fragrance. Coty closed its $11.4 billion acquisition of Procter & Gamble’s specialty beauty portfolio in October, which added CoverGirl, Wella, fragrance licenses for Hugo Boss, Gucci and a slew of other brands to its product portfolio. Johnson & Johnson recently spent $3.3 billion to pick up Vogue International, which includes mass-market hair-care darling OGX, from the Carlyle Group; the Estée Lauder Cos. has recently acquired Too Faced, Becca Cosmetics and By Kilian; Shiseido’s added Laura Mercier, ReVive and the Dolce & Gabbana fragrance license; L’Oréal has acquired IT Cosmetics, CeraVe, AcneFree, Ambi, Atelier Cologne and other businesses, and Unilever added Living Proof.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus