A conservation plan setting aside some 176 acres in Carlsbad, Calif., received city council approval Thursday evening, allowing a shopping and entertainment center by Los Angeles developer Caruso Affiliated to take another step forward.

The conservation plan, named the Agua Hedionda 85/15 plan, sets aside 85 percent of land on the south shore of the Agua Hedionda Lagoon as space open to the public. The remaining 26 acres, or 15 percent, will be set aside for a new retail development, with revenue from the project funding the land set aside for preservation.

The 585,000-square-foot retail development already signed Nordstrom as an anchor tenant and will also include restaurants and entertainment.

The city council approval brings the project one step forward as the 85/15 plan now goes before the California Coastal Commission, which regulates land and water in coastal areas.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus