Nordstrom will help anchor a 585,000-square-foot shopping center Caruso Affiliated plans to build in Carlsbad, Calif.

The retailer’s store will be about 123,000 square feet spread across two levels and is the project’s first tenant to be announced.

The center is part of what’s being called the Agua Hedionda 85/15 plan, which was filed to city officials last month. The proposed project would side-step the traditional approval process by taking it to voters via an initiative. The plan gets its name from the nearby Agua Hedionda Lagoon and calls for the preservation of 176 acres, or 85 percent, of strawberry fields sitting along the lagoon’s south shore. The remaining 26 acres, or 15 percent, would be developed into the proposed lifestyle center of which Nordstrom would serve as the fashion anchor.

The developer’s tenant merchandising strategy aims for a mix of national and local high-end retailers. The project would also be filled out with a movie theater, market and full-service restaurants.