Kohl’s will be one of the few major retailers to operate stores around the clock during the final stretch of 2015 holiday shopping.

The Menomonee Falls, Wis.-based retailer will remain open for more than 170 hours straight, beginning at 7 a.m. on Dec. 17 through 6 p.m. on Christmas Eve. The period includes Super Saturday on Dec. 19.

In addition to extended store hours for last-minute shopping, Kohl’s plans to offer special deals on Super Saturday and buy online and pick up in store will be enabled for late gifts.

Macy’s in 2006 became one of the first major retailers to operate continuously when its unit at the Queens Center Mall stayed open around the clock to capture procrastinating holiday shoppers.

The following year, eight Macy’s units operated 24/7, and in 2008, Macy’s Herald Square flagship and 13 other stores took the same approach.

This year, only Macy’s at the Queens Center Mall will be stay open 24/7, starting on Dec. 21. A few other Northeast stores, including the Herald Square flagship, will have extended store hours until 2 a.m. Hours at Macy’s at La Plaza in McAllen, Tex., will be extended to 1 a.m.

Macy’s extended hours run from Dec. 21 through Dec. 23. On Christmas Eve, the stores will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

“Traffic ebbed and flowed with steady traffic until 2 a.m., then picked up again around 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. so it made sense” not to operate for 24 hours, a Macy’s spokeswoman said. “However, because of the residential density surrounding the Queens location, there is a steady flow of shoppers.”

Wal-Mart Supercenters are normally open around the clock. “It’s the same approach we’ve taken for 30 years or so,” a spokeswoman said.

Starting on Dec. 18, Sears will extend hours from 8 a.m. to  midnight through December 23, except on Dec. 20 when stores will close at 11 p.m. Sears will be open Christmas Eve until 6 p.m.

National Retail Federation’s final consumer holiday spending survey, released on Tuesday, found that the average consumer has completed 53.5 percent of his or her shopping. According to the survey, only about 10 percent of respondents said they are finished, leaving 90 percent with shopping left to do. These are the consumers Kohl’s hopes to attract.

“We’re opening our doors around the clock leading up to Christmas to give customers even more time to get their last-minute gifts,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief merchandising and customer officer.

Kohl’s has been promoting hard this holiday. For the week leading up to Christmas the retailer is offering early bid deals at 6 a.m. such as Heatkeep down puffer jackets for $49.99, originally $100; women’s Tek Gear boots, $19.99, originally $69.99, and floating Diamonluxe pendants, $49.99, originally $175.

Kohl’s comp-store sales in the third quarter rose 1 percent, the fourth consecutive quarter of positive same-store sales growth. Total sales increased 1.2 percent to $4.43 billion from $4.37 billion in the 2014 period. Net profits slipped 15 percent from $142 million in the year-ago third quarter to $120 million in the 2015 period.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus