First Lady Michelle Obama, Jessica Alba, Spotify, Vice Media, The Onion, #BlackLivesMatter, Tracy Morgan, Vanity Fair and “Jimmy Kimmel Live” are among those to be recognized at The 20th annual Webby Awards.
The awards will take play May 16 at Cipriani Wall Street and will be available on demand at webbyawards.com on the morning of May 17.
Spotify and Vice Media led the pack with 13 Webby Awards. National Geographic with 10; The New York Times, eight, and HBO, six, were also leading award recipients. Obama will be awarded two Webby Awards this year.
Among some of the award winners:
• The Onion, which has earned a record 39 Webby awards in the Humor Category since the Webby’s began in 1997, will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award.
• Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner, creator of “Girls” will be honored for founding Lenny Letter, a weekly online feminist newsletter with about half a million subscribers.
• Alba, the founder of The Honest Co., will receive the first-ever Webby Award designation of Entrepreneur of the Year for building a $1 billion consumer goods company.
• Jimmy Fallon will receive the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Social Content and Marketing.
• Obama will win two Webby Awards in the Online Film and Video category for Funny or Die’s “Billy on the Street With Big Bird, First Lady Michelle Obama and Elena,” and College Humor’s “Go to College Music Video With First Lady Michelle Obama.”
• SNL 40 will pick up the Webby Award for Best Events and Live Webcast and both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards in the Variety category for Online Film & Video for Saturday Night Live’s 40th anniversary special.
• Vanity Fair will receive a Webby Award for “Call Me Caitlyn” featuring Caitlyn Jenner in the best documentary category (Online Film and Video).
• The 69th annual Tony Awards will receive the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Event in Social.
• YouTube Music Awards will receive the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Music Video Channel.
• Tumblr will receive both the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Social Website.
• Tinder will get the Webby for Best User Experience in the Mobile Sites and Apps category.
• British Vogue will receive the Webby and People’s Voice Awards for Best Fashion & Beauty Video (Online Film & Video) for The Future of Fashion with Alexa Chung.
• Tracy Morgan will receive the Webby Award for Best Scripted Branded Entertainment for R/GA’s online video, Tracy Morgan in a Christmas Miracle.
• “Jimmy Kimmel Live” is a winner for “YouTube Challenge: I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy 2015.”
• #BlackLivesMatter cofounders Opal Tometi and Alicia Garza will receive a Webby for Social Movement of the Year.
Judges include Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian, Instagram’s Eva Chen, Questlove, Internet investor Vint Cerf and Susan P. Crawford. More than two million votes were cast from Internet fans in 235 countries and territories for the Webby People’s Voice Awards.