Macy’s Inc. and the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union have reached a tentative agreement that will avoid a walkout of more than 4,000 workers at four of the retailer’s New York-area stores, including the Herald Square flagship.

This story first appeared in the June 17, 2011 issue of WWD. Subscribe Today.

The two groups negotiated around the clock to avert a strike that union members had authorized earlier this week.

“This is a solid contract and it reflects the fact that our workers are the true magic of Macy’s,” said Ken Bordieri, President of Local 1-S of the RWDSU.

“Following an all-night negotiating session, Macy’s is pleased to have reached a tentative agreement with Local 1-S of the RWDSU on a new five-year agreement,” said Elina Kazan, vice president of media relations for Macy’s. “We look forward to a ratification of the agreement by our associates, and to serving our customers without interruption. This tentative agreement reflects tremendous efforts by company and union negotiators over the past several weeks to reach an agreement that addresses the economic and business realities of the retailing industry, while keeping jobs at Macy’s among the best in the department store industry.”

Workers at Herald Square will begin voting on the proposed contract today, followed by the other stores Monday through Wednesday of next week.

No details were released on the new terms of the contract.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus