Osman Store

LONDON — Osman Yousefzada is on the move, decamping to the burgeoning fashion hub of Covent Garden from a town house in Fitzrovia, and starting afresh after parting ways with former investor Luxcite.

Yousefzada said his new space, at 20-21 Floral Street, would remain a retail and events venue known as House of Osman. It also houses the brand’s atelier. The designer opened quietly over the summer and hasn’t looked back.

“The footfall is better and the street is more dynamic — there are more tourists and international clients and people are ready to spend,” said the designer, whose spring 2020 presentation took place Sunday at Carlton House.

The new store spans 1,500 square feet, and its neighbors include The Shop at Bluebird, Paul Smith, Agnès b., Arket and Kent & Curwen.

Yousefzada said retail, and the face-to-face contact with the consumer, has been proving invaluable for the business, and rtw sales can often lead to bespoke orders — which the designer realizes in his downstairs atelier.

Osman Covent Garden Store

Osman Covent Garden Store  Courtesy

“It’s about having conversations with customers, data-capturing and cultural events for clients,” he said in an interview. After fashion week, the designer plans to host a meditation session with singing bowls, and has a series of trunk shows in the pipeline.

The store interiors have a sophisticated, theatrical feel with floor-to-ceiling moss green velvet curtains, modernist furniture created by the designer and brass rails and black lacquer throughout. Osman said he wanted it to feel like an elegant private home.

Yousefzada said he’s using the shop floor to educate customers about his brand. The space also allows him to see what sort of merchandise is moving. Right now, it’s tops, dresses and tailored jackets that are driving the Osman business, which is small but profitable.

Retail and direct-to-consumer sales represent about 30 percent of the business, and that number is set to grow. The remaining 70 percent is wholesale, with clients including Bergdorf Goodman, Intermix, Matchesfashion.com, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols.

Earlier this year Yousefzada split with Luxcite, a private equity fund, which had taken a majority stake in the label in 2017. The designer has since bought those shares back with help from private investors.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus