Chanel has decided to cancel its cruise show, due to take place in Capri, Italy, on May 7, to ensure the well-being of its guests and teams during the current coronavirus outbreak.
“Chanel is examining alternative ways of presenting its collection in Capri at a later date and in a different format,” it said in a statement.
“Chanel is closely monitoring the evolution of the COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic in order to ensure the protection of all its teams as well as its partners and customers around the world, and has put in place all the necessary preventive measures in accordance with the recommendations of local and global health authorities. This situation, which is quickly evolving, requires a precise approach that takes into account local regulations, and Chanel is fully committed to protect each employee and partner everywhere the company operates,” it added.
The decision marked the third cancellation in two days for the French fashion house, which said on Monday it was nixing its replica show for the Métiers d’Art collection, scheduled to take place in London on June 4.
The COVID-19 outbreak has also scuppered a planned Chanel event in Paris. The Palais Galliera, which had been due to reopen in early April after two years of renovations, on Monday said the Paris City Hall-backed fashion museum would remain shut until further notice.
Chanel is the exclusive sponsor of a new space for permanent exhibitions at the museum, named the Gabrielle Chanel Rooms, and had sent out a save-the-date for a party on March 31 celebrating the opening of “Gabrielle Chanel, fashion manifesto,” the first Chanel exhibition ever staged in Paris.