Gillian Anderson designs a capsule collection for Winser London

LONDON — Actress Gillian Anderson has become the latest high-profile woman to channel her creativity into Winser London, the British contemporary label that specializes in dresses, outerwear and separates in silk and cashmere.

The collaboration marks the first time that “The X-Files” and “American Gods” actress has designed a clothing collection. Anderson follows Yasmin Le Bon, who whipped up a capsule for Winser in 2016.

The five styles mark the fifth anniversary of Winser London, which was founded by British retail veteran Kim Winser, the former chief executive officer of British brands Pringle of Scotland and Aquascutum.

The collection will launch in September online at and through the brand’s U.K. and U.S. boutiques, which include a pop-up in London’s Chelsea and Flats in St. Helena, Calif.

A sketch from the Gillian Anderson x Winser London range

A sketch from the Gillian Anderson x Winser London range.  Courtesy Photo

Anderson called the process of creating the capsule an education and added that she was aiming for clean lines, and modern, easy-to-wear clothes with a sense of personality.

“The detail is important to me — the quality of the materials, the cut, the lining and where all the materials are sourced, as well as a clear knowledge of the supply chain. Fortunately, the Winser London team thinks the same way, and working with them to create the collection has been a really wonderful, holistic experience,” the actress said.

The five pieces include a slim-leg cigarette pant cut from black wool tuxedo fabric; a sporty, fitted, cashmere crewneck jumper and a casual roll-neck jumper in a cashmere blend with a sporty stripe down one sleeve.

There is also a double-faced wool blend swing-style coat and a tailored one cut from a wool Loden fabric with raw-edge paneling. Prices range from 150 pounds to 400 pounds.

Winser said she wanted the capsule to be “representative of Gillian’s personal style — not the parts she plays,” and that the actress is a good fit in part because she’s lived her life between the U.S. and London. The U.S. is Winser London’s biggest export market. The plan, she said, is to expand further into the American market in the near future.

Winser added she is keen to pursue projects with “successful, confident, stylish women” who can design capsules for the brand and added that her customers buy into the collaborations. “It adds a story to the wardrobe and transports them to a new space.”

Winser added that sales are up 40 percent year-over-year. About 70 percent of the business is online, with the remaining 30 percent selling through pop-ups and wholesale accounts.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus