WHO’S NEXT SHOW EXCLUDES PUBLIC, REAPS MORE ORDERS

Byline: Ruth Benoit

PARIS — The streetwear show Who’s Next took an important professional step forward with its seventh edition, which ran four days through Sept. 8 at the Porte de Versailles. It was the first time the show was closed to the public, and it had a more organized and business-like look.
The show had been regarded as trendsetting and as an important showcase for its edgy exhibitors, but not necessarily conducive to order-writing. However, this time around, exhibitors said they writing orders, getting paper from such international points as Japan, Italy and Spain.
The switching of the dates for SEHM — the major men’s wear shows — also helped beef up the exhibitor roster to some 250, twice the number of a year ago, according to Betrand Foache, organizer of the show with Xavier Clergerie.
“We showed at Who’s Next three seasons ago and were disappointed with the results. We normally show at SEHM in the junior section, but because of the change of dates, we decided to give this show another try. It has turned out to be a good season,” said Philippe Sayada, managing director of Aridza Bross.
Serge Benichou, designer and owner of Mellow Yellow, said, “I feel Who’s Next has come a long way….We have seen lots of international buyers here.”
Mellow Yellow featured such looks as crocheted knit tops and dresses in lavender, brown and olive green, and flower-print stretch satin separates trimmed with lace.
Despite the more organized atmosphere, the show managed to maintain its hip street atmosphere. Deejay boxes throughout the floor space played loud music and there were animated fashion shows daily.

load comments
blog comments powered by Disqus