GROWTH OF COLOR COSMETICS, SKIN CARE EXCEEDS FRAGRANCE
Byline: Matthew W. Evans
NEW YORK — Although fragrance remains the front-runner in total dollar sales of department store beauty, the category was outpaced for the second consecutive year by color cosmetics and skin care.
Color cosmetics gained 6.1 percent in dollar sales in 2000, just ahead of the 5.9 percent rise in skin care dollars, according to NDP BeautyTrends. Fragrance sales grew only 3.5 percent in 2000. Overall, department beauty sales totaled $6.8 billion last year.
This follows a year in which fragrance gained only 2 percent for 1999 with total sales of $3 billion. Color cosmetics advanced 3 percent to $2 billion and skin care jumped by 5 percent to $1.6 billion, indicating that they are chipping away at fragrance’s historic dominance.
New skin care products using ingredients like sugar-derived acid alternatives, sleep formulas and multi-functional benefits generated 10 percent of the business in that category in 2000, according to NPD.
Estee Lauder’s Idealist Skin Refinisher was the fastest growing new skin care entry, jumping to number one among all age specialists in its first six months. Promising multiple benefits including improved skin tone, balanced moisture and reduced fine lines, it came in at number four at the end of 2000.