DALLAS — The Dallas Market Center has announced 24 finalists in the 31st annual Dallas Fashion Awards competition.
There are three nominees in each of eight categories. Winners will be determined by a poll of retailers who download a ballot from dallasmarketcenter.com or vote during market at DMC’s FashionCenterDallas, Aug. 17-20.
Winners will be announced at a gala Oct. 28 during the spring market in a new space being developed in the atrium of the Trade Mart, a center of permanent gift and home showrooms.
The Dallas Fashion Awards benefit two charities. A silent auction raises money for the Fashion Group International Scholarship Fund, and each finalist is invited to restyle a J.C. Penney Arizona-brand denim jacket to be auctioned next spring at the annual fund-raiser for the Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS.
The DMC tweaks the categories each year based on market developments, and this time the contemporary industry has been divided into two groups to distinguish casual labels from more tailored resources.
A national panel of fashion editors, retailers and industry experts selected the nominees. They are:
- Accessories: Brighton, Hobo and Sondra Roberts
- After 5: Sue Wong, Tadashi and Terani
- Bridge/Designer: Fusun, Luisa Cerano and Magaschoni Beige
- Casual Contemporary: Seven For All Mankind, Free People and Joystick
- Contemporary: Biya, Jak and Rae and Vivienne Tam
- Children’s Wear: Haven Girl, Lipstik and Plum Pudding
- Jewelry: Anat for Reverie, Otazu and Sorrelli
- Modern Wear: Fibers by Barbara Lesser, Karen Kane and Nic & Zoe