“Considering the current situation and following the guidance of Chinese authorities, Chanel has decided to postpone its project of a replica of the Paris — 31 Rue Cambon 2019/20 Métiers d’art collection in May in Beijing to a later and more appropriate moment,” the house said in a statement on Monday.
“Chanel is monitoring the situation closely. At the foremost are the health and wellbeing of its teams and clients,” the French fashion house added.
The collection was initially shown at the Grand Palais in Paris on Dec. 4 and was scheduled to travel to China before another showing in London on June 4 at Old Billingsgate, a 19th-century Victorian building overlooking the Thames River.
The outbreak, which has killed more than 1,600 people in China, has prompted authorities to seal off entire cities and airlines to suspend traffic to and from China. As a result, Chinese designers have canceled planned presentations and shows overseas during the current round of fashion weeks.
Chinese buyers, editors and influencers are staying home, while the upcoming fashion weeks in Beijing and Shanghai have also been postponed. François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive officer of Kering, said last week he expected at least 30 percent fewer guests at the Gucci show in Milan on Wednesday.