Jean Paul Gaultier held court at the French embassy in Tokyo on Wednesday to launch his collection for Japanese retail giant Seven & i Holdings. The project is Gaultier’s first fashion foray outside couture since he discontinued his own prêt-à-porter line last year.
The designer said he was overwhelmed by the work involved in producing luxury ready-to-wear and the need to churn out several collections a year.
“I wanted to concentrate on what I like. What do I like? To make couture. To make prêt-à-porter also, but not like the way it is now, because now you have to make pre-collection, cruise, all that, you know, which is a lot, a lot of demand. And it doesn’t really stop…which is not good, because we have no time to think,” Gaultier told a press conference. “So I prefer to be free of that, and to make some capsules and some experiences and some new adventures that give me more freedom. And in that way I feel more free and more energetic and a little more excited.”
The line, called Jean Paul Gaultier for Sept Premieres, goes on sale Wednesday online and at Seibu and Sogo department stores and Ito-Yokado general stores across Japan.