In only a few short seasons, Rio Uribe has developed a cult following for his Gypsy Sport label — and the reason was apparent at his fall show. Only 30 percent of the models on the runway were cast through agencies, he said. The other 70 percent were found via social media.
“We invite people to castings through Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat,” he explained, admitting that it is hard when 400 kids show up and you have to turn down so many. But he is dedicated to the concept because he wants to express the importance of diversity in his collection and to show his clothes on real people of different shapes and sizes.
Those who did make the cut had a blast as they strutted and danced on the runway in clothes that had a definitive Eighties hip-hop street appeal. Inspired by skin tones and texture, Uribe worked with suede, leather satin and lace — all in different shades of nude and beige. So naturally, the collection had obvious lingerie influences, or innerwear as outerwear, as he noted backstage.
Key looks included lace pants, off-the-shoulder tops, an oversize tweed jacket, a checkered coat that appeared almost patchworklike and an array of baggy pants. Uribe also showed a few men’s wear looks that were in the same vein as the woman’s collection.