If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, WWD may receive an affiliate commission.
Nothing says effortless elegance quite like comfy pants for women, which is why shopping for a pair — or two — is essential to completing a proper capsule wardrobe. Whether you prefer pared-back leggings, sporty sweatpants, women’s jeans, or trousers that add a touch of glamour to your life, there is an abundance of comfortable women’s pants that will help you feel cozy yet polished and put together. The best part? These comfortable pants work for the office and the weekend.
There was once a time when there were solely comfortable pants that shoppers wouldn’t want to be seen in outside of their homes. However, thanks to a rising number of brands introducing innovative loungewear styles and testing out new buttery soft fabric blends, the comfy women’s pants of today don’t sacrifice style for comfort.
“Comfort should never sacrifice style, and style should never sacrifice comfort,” wardrobe stylist Liv Schreiber says. “We live in an era where many fantastic brands, designed by women with women in mind, exist for us not to suffer at work or date night. Think of brands like Skims, Spanx, and Splits59 — there is not a singular style of pants that represent comfort today because these brands are like lighthouses in the dark when it comes to feeling good for many women.”
Whether traveling, going to the office, or just lounging around the house, comfortable pants are essential to stress-free dressing. The right style, fabric, and fit take the worry out of life and leave you free to focus on more important things (like work, relaxation, or whatever else is on your schedule).
Regardless if you’re looking for comfy pants for your work-from-home life or your life on the go, we’ve compiled the most comfortable pants for women. So, keep scrolling to learn more — including the important factors to keep in mind before adding these comfy pants to your cart.
Top Comfortable Pants for Women 2023
- Best for Work: Spanx The Perfect Pant – Wide Leg
- Best for Lounging: UGG Terri Lounge Pants
- Best for Sleep: Skims Soft Lounge Sleep Pants
- Best for Yoga: Splits59 High-Waist Raquel Pants
- Best for Working Out: ColorfulKoala High Waisted Yoga Pants
- Best Sweatpants: Alo Yoga Gender Inclusive Accolade Straight Leg Sweatpants
- Best Summer Pants: Summersalt Softest French Terry Joggers
- Best Cashmere Pants: Naked Cashmere Emera Wide Leg Pants
- Best Plus-Size Pants for Work: Eloquii Plus-Size Kady Pants
- Best Comfortable Jeans: Frame Le High Waist Flare Jeans
- Best Luxury Pants: The Row Jersey Thilde Cropped Pants
- Best Pants That Look Nice: Spanx Faux Leather Leggings
- Best Budget-Friendly Pants: Champion Powerblend Fleece Pants
- Best for Air Travel: Lou & Grey Signature Softblend Wide Leg Pants
- Most Versatile Pants: Aritzia Wilfred Effortless Pants
Spanx The Perfect Pant – Wide Leg
Most Comfortable Women’s Pants for Work
- Sizes: XS-3X, available in petite, regular, and tall lengths
- Colors: Available in black and navy
- Notes: Wide-leg silhouette
- Fabric: 68% rayon, 28% nylon, 4% elastane
Finding comfortable pants for work may seem impossible, but Spanx’s Perfect Pants check all the boxes. Highly rated by reviewers and stylists alike, these trousers feature soft, stretchy fabric and a wide-leg silhouette that ensure comfort while still looking polished. Wardrobe stylist Liv Schreiber recommends these to anyone looking for something comfortable for the office. “Spanx has the best flared work pant — they elongate your legs while simultaneously being a high-waisted option that’s great for the office, date night, and happy hour. When I put on their flared pants, I get tons of compliments and never want to take them off. Pair them with a tall black booty to make your legs look 10 miles long,” Schreiber says. As the cherry on top, they’re available in petite, regular, and tall lengths, as well as regular and plus sizes.
What reviewers say: “I really, really love these pants. They’re everything. They hold me in without being constricting, they’re thick but not bulky, a great waist height and pant length… what could be better. I brought on a work trip and they didn’t need any type of ironing and I could wear an entire day without any sagging.”
UGG Terri Lounge Pants
Best Comfy Women’s Pants for Home
- Sizes: XS-XL
- Colors: Available in cream and green
- Notes: Wide-leg silhouette in cozy knit fabric
- Fabric: 70% recycled polyester, 30% polyester
If the pandemic taught us anything, it’s that it’s important to invest in comfortable lounge pants that still feel cute. Enter: UGG’s Terri Lounge Pants. The cozy knit fabric is soft, described by many reviewers as “cloud-like,” and chic enough to wear out of the house too. The soft fabric style comes in two colors, cream, and olive green, with plenty of matching tanks and sweaters from the brand to make a full set. According to reviewers, the fabric also washes and wears well, making these pants an effortless and easy staple in your loungewear wardrobe.
What reviewers say: “They fit true to size, maintain their quality when washed, and feel like I’m wearing a cloud for pants!!”
Skims Soft Lounge Sleep Pants
Most Comfortable Women’s Pants for Sleep
- Sizes: XXS-4X
- Colors: Available in rose, gold, and gray colors
- Notes: Reviewers say they run slightly large
- Fabric: 91% modal, 9% spandex
It’s no secret Kim Kardashian’s Skims line has become a favorite for its ultra-cozy sleepwear and shapewear. The brand’s Soft Lounge Sleep Pants deliver just the buttery soft, super stretchy fit you want out of sleep pants for wearing around the house. Made of a modal and spandex blend, the high-stretch fabric runs slightly large, according to some reviewers, so you may want to size down. Like most of the brand’s pieces, there are several tops to create a matching set — from tank tops to T-shirts and long-sleeve shirts.
What reviewers say: “Really stretchy and comfy! Just to hang around or to even run errands. Good length just runs big since it’s so stretchy.”
Splits59 High-Waist Raquel Pants
Best Comfy Women’s Pants for Yoga
- Sizes: XS-XXL
- Colors: Available in black, military, indigo, and white
- Fabric: 87% nylon, 13% spandex
When it comes to comfortable yoga pants and leggings, stylist Liv Schreiber counts Splits59 as a favorite. “My favorite workout leggings and flare yoga pants are by Splits59. There’s a new collaboration of stirrup leggings with Alexa Leigh out — they feel like butter and look so good in Pilates,” she says. The brand’s high-waisted yoga flares are available in four different colors — black, military, indigo, and white — so you can stock up and pair them with the brand’s matching workout tops and sports bras. Reviewers add the fabric isn’t see-through and offers soft stomach control.
What reviewers say: “While these are a bit on the pricey side they are great leggings. They are not see through, have good stomach control, and very soft.”
ColorfulKoala High-Waist ⅞ Leggings
- Sizes: XS-XL
- Colors: Available in over 20 colors and patterns
- Notes: Seamless waistband and four-way stretch fabric
- Fabric: 75% Polyester, 25% Spandex
With over 44,000 (yes, really!) ratings on Amazon, these budget-friendly pants are a tried-and-true favorite for comfortable leggings. Offering four-way stretch, the buttery soft fabric is perfect for workouts or just wearing out to run errands or lounge around. The design features a seamless waistband, tummy control, and a flattering V-contour seam in the back. Available in many colors — including neutral, bright hues and bold patterns, the leggings also feature side pockets to hold your phone or keys during workouts or while on the go.
What reviewers say: “These are truly the best leggings I have ever owned. I’m usually a sweatpants type of girl, but these leggings are seriously the comfiest and best fitted leggings I’ve ever owned! I have a few pairs and these are the only ones I will wear and continue to order. They are incredibly comfy, soft, and fit perfectly. I wear these anywhere from the gym, running errands, or Lounging around. Buy them!!”
Related: Hands Down, These Are The 20 Best Leggings You Can Buy on Amazon
Alo Straight-Leg Sweatpants
- Sizes: XS-XXL
- Colors: Available in black and toffee colors
- Notes: Straight-leg style with high-waist; runs large
- Fabric: 65% cotton, 35% polyester
If you prefer straight-leg sweatpants over joggers with elasticized cuffs, opt for this classic style from Alo Yoga. The soft French terry knit fabric delivers a comfy fit that works for around the house or running errands. The unisex, slightly oversized style does run large, so if you don’t want as much of a looser fit, make sure you size down. And if you want to make it a full set, there’s a matching hooded sweatshirt to go along.
What reviewers say: “Waist is true to size but they do run long. But omg they are soft. You’ll never want to take them off. Worth every cent and you’ll want them in every color!”
Summersalt Softest French Terry Jogger
Most Comfortable Pants for Summer
- Sizes: XS-2X
- Colors: Available in 12 colors and patterns, including black, white, gray, blue, pink, and more.
- Notes: Lightweight, soft fit
- Fabric: 65% TENCEL™ Lyocell, 18% Cotton, 11% TENCEL™ Modal, 6% Spandex
For those who are team Joggers when it comes to sweats, Summersalt’s Softest French Terry Joggers are for you. The brand’s ultra-comfy casual pants are made from an eco-friendly Tencel blend and offer a lightweight fit that’s super soft. The best-selling style is available in many colors and patterns, all with matching sweatshirts, so you can opt for a matching set.
What reviewers say: “I love these joggers! I got them in 3 colors! Black, white sand and wolf! I also purchased two coordinating tops from the french terry line. I can’t express enough how fabulous and comfortable these joggers are! Great for lounging around the house, running errands, and travel! They also retain their shape after many wears before washing.”
Naked Cashmere Emera Wide Leg Pants
Best Cashmere Pants
- Sizes: XS-L
- Colors: Available in charcoal and midnight
- Notes: Wide-leg fit
- Fabric: 100% pure cashmere
For a luxe, splurge-worthy piece of loungewear, opt for the comfort and ease of Naked Cashmere’s pants. The brand’s wide-leg pants are super-soft and look both sophisticated and polished while feeling incredibly comfortable. If you’re looking for an elevated loungewear set for travel or around the house, cashmere provides both warmth and comfort for cooler weather months. Pair these with one of Naked Cashmere’s sweaters, cardigans, or tanks for a full look that feels and looks luxurious.
Eloquii Plus-Size Kady Pants
Best Plus-Size Comfy Pants for Work
- Sizes: 14-32; available in three fit options based on body type
- Colors: Available in 10 colors, including black, navy, brown, cobalt, red, tan, and more.
- Notes: Tailored, straight-leg fit
- Fabric: 51% Cotton / 46% Nylon / 3% Spandex
Eloquii’s best-selling pants are highly-rated for many reasons — the figure-flattering cut, range of colors, styling versatility, and comfortable structured fabric, to name a few. Reviewers love the fit options to choose from that ensure a more tailored, comfortable pair of pants and the flattering ankle length hemline that’s easy to style with a range of shoes. The perfect work pant, these are a wardrobe classic with plenty of fit options to ensure a comfortable fit.
What reviewers say: “I have never. NEVER. in my life been able to find a pair of dress pants that fit me correctly off the rack. The viola fit has changed the game for me. I usually buy an 18 or 20 to fit my thighs, but have to make do with a belt or tailor to manage the GIANT back waistband gap and unflattering bagginess in the front tummy area. I ordered these in my waist measurement (16) and they fit me like a glove. I got so many compliments on the fit. The fabric is great— I live in AZ and bike to work, and these weren’t uncomfortable in the heat like most pants. I will buy these in ALL the colors. Pear shaped ladies, these are our soul trousers.”
Frame Le High Waist Flare Jeans
Most Comfortable Jeans for Women
- Sizes: 23-34
- Colors: Available in blue, black, and white denim washes
- Notes: Premium stretch denim with flared legs
- Fabric: 44% cotton, 42% lyocell, 13% polyester, 1% elastane
Flared jeans are back, and not only is the retro style elongating and flattering, but it’s also incredibly comfortable when done in a stretch fabric. Of course, comfortable jeans are subjective, but Frame’s premium stretch denim has been a favorite amongst the fashion set for years now. The high-rise waistband hits just at the natural waistline for a comfortable and easy-to-style silhouette. And compared to some of the more popular rigid, straight-leg styles, a stretchy flare is a welcomed change when you’re looking for denim with a little more movement and less constriction.
What reviewers say: “This was my first pair of Frames and I’ve been really happy with them; the cut is really similar to the discontinued Hudson Bootcut Drew. The wash is nice and the stretch recall is very good. They are long, but I’m 5’10” and they’re perfect with my low heeled ankle boots.”
Related: The 18 Best High-Waisted Jeans for Every Body Type
The Row Jersey Thilde Cropped Pants
Best Luxury Comfy Pants
- Sizes: S-L
- Colors: Available in Black
- Fabric: 87% polyamide, 13% elastane
The Row has mastered the art of soft luxury, and these timeless, understated pants are proof of that. If you’re looking for a real investment piece, this is one splurge worth making. Made in Italy, these cropped pants feature stretch scuba nylon, elastic waistband, and vertical slits at the hem for a comfortable feel and fit. Ideal for dressing up or keeping casual, it’s the kind of subtle chic-ness that the Olsen twins have become known for in the last decade.
Spanx Faux Leather Leggings
Most Comfortable Pants That Look Expensive
- Sizes: XS-3X; available in regular, petite, and tall lengths. Size up, runs small
- Notes: Contoured design with shaping waistband
- Fabric: 87% Nylon, 13% Elastane With Polyurethane Coating. Lining: 80% Polyester, 20% Elastane.
Let us introduce Spanx’s bestseller: the Faux Leather Leggings. Reviewers literally cannot get enough of their figure-flattering fit, surprisingly comfortable design, shaping waistband, and seam-free center that eliminates any camel toe — so you can wear them as leggings or pants. Stylist Liv Schrieber agrees, calling these “the most elevated and comfortable pair of faux leather pants on the planet.” For styling, she says, “dress them up with booties or tall boots or down with designer sneakers and an oversized blazer.”
What reviewers say: “They fit perfectly! Sexy chic and so comfortable all in one. They hug every curve even my small calves and thicker thighs which is hard to find. Definitely going to be a returning customer.”
Champion Powerblend Fleece Pants
Best Budget-Friendly Comfortable Pants for Women
- Sizes: XS-XXL
- Colors: Available in black, charcoal, and heather gray
- Notes: Soft fleece fabric that’s shrink and pilling-resistant
- Fabric: 60% Polyester, 40% Cotton
You can’t go wrong with a no-frills classic when it comes to comfortable sweatpants. Champion’s Powerblend Fleece Pants are not only budget-friendly (under $20!), but they’re made of an ultra-think fleece fabric that’s warm for winter months. Ideal for lounging, the straight-leg sweatpants’ cotton-polyester blend is resistant to shrinkage and pillage. Featuring a ribbed waistband, drawcord string, and two pockets, this wardrobe basic has everything you need to be comfy without breaking the bank.
What reviewers say: “I purchased these to stay warmer this winter than leggings allow. They do just that. They are by far the most comfy pants I own. They are soft, thick, and have just a little stretch.”
Lou & Grey Signature Softblend Wide-Leg Pants
Most Comfortable Pants for Air Travel
- Sizes: XXS-XXL
- Notes: Wide-leg silhouette in buttery soft sweatpant-like fabric
- Fabric: 48% Rayon, 48% Acrylic, 4% Spandex
I’ve been screaming about my love for Lou & Grey’s Signature Softblend Pants for years now. They’ve become my go-to comfortable pants for airplane travel because they feel like the softest sweatpants in the world but manage to look polished thanks to the wide-leg silhouette. The high-waisted elasticized waist is comfortable and hits at just the right point — and they have pockets! These work as loungewear too, but if you’re looking for pants that are secretly sweats, look no further than these. Trust.
What Reviewers Say: “Most comfortable pants EVER, nice enough for work. These pants are SO comfortable, the fabric is insanely soft. The fit is VERY flattering for a wide leg – even in a larger size (I wear XL) because of the beautiful drape of the knit. They don’t look like lounge pants, so paired with a nice shirt, I frequently wear to the office.”
Aritzia Wilfred Effortless Pants
Most Versatile Comfortable Pants
- Sizes: 00-16, available in short, regular, and tall lengths
- Colors: Available in over 15 colors
- Notes: High-waisted, wide-leg fit
- Fabric: 100% polyester
Chances are you’ve already seen Artizia’s cult-favorite Effortless Pants worn by various influencers and style stars. The brand’s top-rated pants are constantly a favorite on TikTok and Instagram, and for good reason. Offering a classic high-waisted, wide-leg fit, these versatile pants are ideal for work, travel, dressing up, or dressing down. The fabric and fit are comfortable, pretty wrinkle-resistant, and easy to style, making it a constant go-to in my wardrobe and many others. As someone who is petite, the option of having shorter lengths also saves me the trouble of needing to get alterations done. This is a great style to start with if you’re looking for a comfortable, polished pair to add to your capsule wardrobe.
What reviewers say: “I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these pants, the fit and fabric is just amazing and so flattering. I always resort back to these pants when I don’t know what to wear and instantly feel my look is elevated. I own them in 3 colors and will continue to restock in my wardrobe. Lots of dupes out there right now but you will only be convinced once you try them, you won’t regret!”
The Different Types of Comfortable Pants
- Leggings and Yoga Pants: From workout leggings to comfortable pants for air travel, leggings and yoga pants offer body-hugging comfort that moves with you throughout the day. If you’re looking for something soft, sleek, and easy to style with everything from sweatshirts to blazers, comfy pairs of leggings are essential.
- Sweatpants: Cozy, loose, and made for lounging, comfortable sweatpants are a must for both life and home and while traveling. Today’s sweatpants come in a range of styles — from straight to wide-leg — that can still look polished without sacrificing comfort.
- Trousers: Yes, even trousers and office-friendly pants can be comfy too. Comfortable pants for work typically offer high-waist, wide-leg styles that allow for movement while elongating the legs and looking effortlessly put-together. Whether you want something more structured or soft, there are plenty of options today.
- Stretch Jeans: There are many comfortable jeans, but premium stretch denim is typically the most comfortable jeans option. Styles like flared jeans, wide-leg jeans, the ‘90s-inspired baggy jeans, and even some straight-leg jeans can be most comfortable when done in a stretch fabric that features a small percentage of elastane or spandex for a little give.
What to Look for When Shopping for Comfortable Pants
- Cut: Though wide-leg and flared pants typically offer more room and comfort than tight, constrictive silhouettes, the most comfortable cut comes down to your preference. Schreiber advises, “As a personal preference, I prefer high-waisted pants and flared pants for comfort because that’s what looks best on my body, but it’s more about buying quality pieces [you feel good in] and less about the style that is going to give you comfort.” Look for cuts that offer some movement in the leg, as well as softness or elasticity in the waistband, for optimal comfort.
- Size: The most important factor in locating comfortable pants is finding the right size for your body. Read online reviews and product descriptions to see if pants run smaller, larger, or true to size so that you can order the best fit for you. Brands like Spanx, Eloquii, Abercrombie, and J.Crew offer different size lengths like petite, regular, and tall to ensure a better fit.
- Stretch: If you’re looking for a pair of pants that will allow for more movement and mold to your body, make sure the fabric has some form of stretch or give. Materials like spandex and elastane indict a fabric that will offer some stretch. Also, keep in mind that items with more stretch sometimes run larger or stretch out over time, so you may want to size down based on fit preference.
- Fabric: Fabrics like modal, cotton, and polyester are typically used in blends that offer softer feels. Also, look for more sustainable options like Tencel and recycled polyester and wool that are more eco-friendly without sacrificing comfort. For pants with stretch, like leggings or loungewear, you’ll typically want a blend that includes some spandex or elastane for extra stretch.
Meet the Author
Lauren Alexis Fisher is an editor, writer, and consultant with over eight years of experience in the fashion industry. After spending six years as a digital market editor at Harper’s Bazaar and a lifetime scrolling the internet, she’s well-versed in shopping all the best trends and pieces online – from comfortable pants to vacation essentials and beyond.
Meet the Expert
Liv Schreiber is a New York-based fashion stylist and lifestyle influencer most known for her TikTok videos. She has personally styled and shopped for multiple celebrities as well as high-profile entrepreneurs, designed handbags sold at Free People, and worked with companies like Teen Vogue, Jil Sander, Revolve, Moroccanoil, Amanda Uprichard, Casely, and more throughout her years in the industry.